Frickin' A Biography
Frickin' A are riding high on the success of their rollicking version of Rick Springfield's "Jessie's Girl." It seems like an odd choice of cover tune for a band that describes its music as "snot rock," but it works. So we decided to find out which songs these versatile punk-popsters from Cincinnati would not try to cover. Lead guitarist David Harris sent us this top ten list:
10. "Truly Madly Deeply" by Savage Garden - It probably got the band laid, but this is one of the lamest songs ever written. I only know it 'cause I heard it by accident.
9. "Liquid Dreams" by O-Town - Not only do I hate the song, but everything it represents. I remember being little watching this ABC show Making the Band (P. Diddy and MTV have a new version of it now with a girl group). It was all about how O-Town was just put together, like they were puppets. They were just bad and they had to have someone show them how to do everything.
8. "Butterfly" by Crazy Town - I think if you listen to this track it speaks for itself why we wouldn't cover it. Just listening to it makes me feel dumb.
7. "Pieces of Me" by Ashlee Simpson - Because Jason really sings and we can't do the jig. Well, we can, but it takes a lot of Gray Goose & soda, and we won't do it in skirts anymore.
6. "Blame it on the Rain" by Milli Vanilli - Speaking of lip syncers, here are the cats that perfected it. They built a career by pretending to sing this song (and all the rest) and that drives me nuts! I'd rather hear an average singer owning it and giving his all and having fun than a faker.
5. "Toxic" by Britney Spears - I just hate this song! When I first heard this, I seriously thought it was a joke. Thank god she is half naked in the video. She wins some points there.
4. "Addams Groove" by MC Hammer - I saw the Addams Family movie as a kid and this song came on. It scared me a little.
3. "Love Rears Its Ugly Head" by Living Colour - To me, this is perfect! I wouldn't want to NOT do it justice! In this one track, they combine soul, jazz, rock and hip-hop and it comes off so smooth that I have to play it again and again.
2. "The Rain Song" by Led Zep - It's just this beautiful piece of music that I get lost in no matter how many times I hear it. The guitar, the vocal melody, the strings, DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This song takes you on a journey I'd rather enjoy than try to recreate.
1. "Heart-Shaped Box" by Nirvana - No way to top this and it would be embarrassing to try. There are parts of this song that are just ugly and they make it sound so beautiful. The emotion in this track always makes me sit back, listen and learn...