We Are Scientists Biography
We always wondered what a three-tusked mastodon listened to. Now we know... here’s a mixtape from the Scientists:
1. Neutral Milk Hotel - "The King Of Carrot Flowers Pt. 1"
2. Neutral Milk Hotel - "The King Of Carrot Flowers Pts. 2 & 3"
"It's dirty, epic, spiritual, beautiful, simple. I never don't want to be listening to this suite.”
3. The Double - "Up All Night"
"It starts out sounding like messages from outer space and builds into a gorgeously rich pop nougat."
4. Babyshambles - "Fuck Forever"
"Seems like people don't like this song, either because it meanders too much or because they hate Mr. Doherty's crackhead celebrity. I think it meanders just about right."
5. The Modern Lovers - "I’m Straight" - "Jonathan Richman didn't make it cool to abstain from drugs and alcohol, but he did make it publicly known that he abstained from drugs and alcohol."
6. A Certain Ratio- "Shack Up"
"The groove that these guys obtain shames every other post-punk disco whatever band from their time, except maybe Talking Heads. Also, it's a treatise on doing sex!"
7. Foward, Russia! - "Seven"
"There's a lot I like about these kids from Leeds, like that this song should probably be called 'Bring Back Charlie,' but they name their songs in numerical order of their conception. Also, they wear matching t-shirts."
8. Oxford Collapse - "The Boys Go Home"
"When they're not rocking and rolling, they're stomping and clapping, and so am I. Plus, they're good dudes from back in the neighborhood."
9. Gang Gang Dance - "Glory In Itself/Egyptian "
"The rhythms, they mesmerize me. If transcendence were a sound instead of a spiritual action or whatever it is, it would be this."
10. Animal Collective - "Who Could Win a Rabbit"
"Weird and wonderful. So many words so fast and so together, not to mention the melodies and harmonies and all the rest."
11. Devendra Banhart - "This Beard Is For Siobhan"
"He's gonna take his teeth out and show them a real good time."
12. David Bowie - "Space Oddity"
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Beam me up, please?"
13. Les Savy Fav - "The Sweat Descends"
"The Lords of Brooklyn. If we had any balls or good ideas, we would sound like this."
14. Lightning Bolt - "Assassins"
"A full-body pummelling. Keith and I tried to learn to play this song once and ended up writing what is maybe our most hardcore song but is a cute little pop song compared to this."
*Press stop. The mixtape is over.
The Scientists were kind enough to tell us what their favorite albums are as well:
The Beach Boys- Pet Sounds
David Bowie - Low
Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!
Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing in the Hands
The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Gilded Palace of Sin
The Jesus & Mary Chain - Psychocandy
Les Savy Fav - Go Forth
Liars - They Threw Us All In a Trench and Stuck a Monument On Top
Lightning Bolt - Wonderful Rainbow
The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers
My Bloody Valentine- Loveless
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted
Pixies - Surfer Rosa
The Rolling Stones - Some Girls
The Strokes - Is This It
Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground
Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
Wire - 154
We Are Scientists' new album With Love and Squalor, is available now in the ARTISTdirect Store.