• > Home
  • > News
  • > 22 Dead, As Injured Toll Rises In Terror Attack At Ariana Grande Concert
  • 22 Dead, As Injured Toll Rises In Terror Attack At Ariana Grande Concert

    Tue, 23 May 2017 09:35:24

    22 Dead, As Injured Toll Rises In Terror Attack At Ariana Grande Concert  -

    Ariana Grande Videos

    • Beauty and the Beast
    • Ariana Grande - Everyday

    more ariana grande videos »

    22 people have died and 55 people have been seriously injured after an apparent suicide bomber detonated an improvised device at the end of an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England, police said Tuesday.

    Police said that the blast was carried out by a male who was also killed by the explosion. No other information about the individual who detonated the device was offered.

    Chief Ian Hopkins of the Greater Manchester Police said "This has been the most horrific incident we have had to face in Greater Manchester and one that we all hoped we would never see," he said. Some of the dead were children, but Hopkins provided no further details about the victims or the attacker.

    "The attacker, I can confirm, died at the arena. We believe the attacker was carrying an improvised explosive device which he detonated causing this atrocity. "We would ask people not to speculate on his details or to share names. There is a complex and wide ranging investigation underway."

    According to the Associated Press, the terror group ISIS has claimed responsibility for the suspected terror attack. Overnight, police arrested a 23-year-old man in connection with the attack.

    The concert was attended by thousands of young music fans in northern England.

    The explosion happened around 10:30 p.m. local time, Monday night as Grande was ending the concert, part of her Dangerous Woman Tour. The singer, who was not injured, tweeted hours later: "Broken. From the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don't have words."

    More than 400 police officers were deployed to the blast, as bomb-disposal units, and 60 ambulances attended the scene.

    In a statement on its official website Manchester Arena said that the blast struck outside the venue as people were leaving. Some eyewitnesses said it happened in the foyer of the arena just after the concert ended.

    The incident sparked a nightlong search as parents tried to locate their missing children, and groups of friends tried to find one another after scattering during the blast.

    Manchester residents opened their homes to provide rooms for people who could not get home because public transport had been shut down, while taxi services offered to give stranded people rides home for free.

    The Dangerous Woman tour is the third concert tour by 23-year-old Grande and supports her third studio album, "Dangerous Woman."

    After Manchester, Grande was to perform at venues in Europe, including Belgium, Poland, Germany, Switzerland and France, with concerts in Latin America and Asia to follow. At this time it is unclear as to Grande’s plans to continue her scheduled tour.

    Local newspaper The Manchester Evening News has set up a fund to raise funds to help the victims of the attack. You can donate to that fund by clicking here.


    —The ARTISTdirect Staff
    05.23.17



    "Like" ARTISTdirect on facebook to get more news and info on Ariana Grande

    Tags: Ariana Grande

    Latest Music News

    more news headlines »

    • this week
    • last week
    • artist
    • ringtone
    • peak rank
    • wks on chart