Feature: 10 Reasons You Need to See Soundgarden Before You Die
Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:16:07
There are certain bands you need to see before you die.
Soundgarden is undeniably one of them. Supporting 2012's King Animal right now, they're out on the road taking audiences on a journey unlike anything else in modern music. It's a nightly occurrence too, whether it's a headline gig or festival appearance. You've got to see them to believe it, and you will believe.
So, given their mind-blowing three nights at The Wiltern this past weekend, ARTISTdirect.com editor in chief Rick Florino came up with "10 Reasons You Need To See Soundgarden Before You Die". See the list below.
10 Reasons You Need to See Soundgarden Before You Die
10. They're one of the few bands to boast the same lineup that played on its most revered output. Yes, you get to see the same four dudes—Chris Cornell, Kim Thayil, Ben Shepherd, and Matt Cameron—who wrote and recorded Badmotorfinger, Superunknown, and Down on the Upside. That's worth the price of admission.
9. At the same time, they go all the way back to their earliest recordings, including the likes of "Beyond the Wheel" and "Incessant Mace" from Ultramega OK. Louder Than Love is also proudly represented in searing renditions of "Loud Love", "Gun", "Get on the Snake", and more.
8. Last year's King Animal [Loma Vista Recordings/Republic Records] kicks ass. How many bands can arise from a 16-year break with some of their best material, making it feel like no time passed at all? We can't think of any other than Soundgarden.
7. The set list revolves nightly. You never know what you're going to get. The only thing to expect is a hell of a show.
6. They've got such an impressive catalog and legacy that there are still surprises. For instance, Los Angeles got Badmotorfinger's epic closer "New Damage" live for the first time since 1994. Seattle got Pearl Jam's Mike McCready joining them.
5. The visuals are as psychedelically brutal and blissful as the music.
4. Cornell makes sure to involve the crowd, whether it's by donning a fan-made shirt or inviting a youngster on stage to wish him a happy birthday.
3. There's a shirt at the merch table that says "Louder Than Fuck"—'nuff said.
2. Staples such as "Black Hole Sun", "The Day I Tried to Live", "Fell on Black Days", "Blow Up the Outside World", "Pretty Noose", and "Burden In My Hand" come to life on stage in front of you.
1. It's fucking Soundgarden. They're the greatest band in rock 'n' roll right now. Go see them at a headline show or festival ASAP.
What would you like to see Soundgarden play live? Have you seen them recently?
Photos: Corey Soria [Bloodline Photography]
For Corey's gallery click here!
For our review of The Wiltern show, click here!
See our most recent interview with Chris Cornell here!
See our feature on Chris Cornell's "I Promise It's Not Goodbye" here!
See what Pearl Jam, Avenged Sevenfold and more say about Soundgarden here!
See what Metallica, Iron Maiden, Mastodon, Gojira, and More have to say about Soundgarden here!
For more artists talking Soundgarden click here!
See our review of King Animal here!
See our top 25 Soundgarden Songs of All-Time Feature here!
See our feature on "Why Soundgarden Will Save Rock N' Roll with King Animal" here!
See our live review of the band at the Fonda Theatre here!