Five Questions: Nedelle
Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:42:51
Oakland, California native, former musical theatre enthusiastic and Kill Rock Stars veteran, Nedelle, is releasing her fifth album, The Locksmith Cometh.
ARTISTdirect caught up with Nedelle to ask her about how she infuses her violin playing, jazz-loving roots with her indie rock sensibilities.
1. Name a musician who has influenced your sound, but that people may not expect.
The Andrew Sisters. I had a record of theirs that I sang along with from age 5 on. I think it helped me learn and understand harmonies.
2. Who or what inspires you to make music?
The role that music plays in peoples' lives is very special and important to me. To make people feel good through music is a very high acheivement in my eyes, and I've always wanted to try and do that. If I made one person sing aloud in their car, then I'd die happy!
3. Was there a driving concept behind your new album?
The album was originally named I Hate a Mountain after one of the songs, and the concept involves trying to overcome all the things in life that seem frustrating and insurmountable. Though the concept is still the same; I changed the title because I thought it sounded a little too negative.
4. What's the most exciting part of the actual music-making process for you?
I love to write! I think a close second is actualizing the songs through recording, and third is playing live/touring.
5. If you could pick a dream band to open for, past or present, who would it be?
Wow, that's hard. Can it be a jazz person, or does it have to be rock? I'd have to say the Sun Ra Arkestra. That's a band!