Jim James Covers Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, Elvis, And More On New Covers LP
Tue, 31 Oct 2017 09:44:20
My Morning Jacket frontman Jim James reworked the Beach Boys' "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" for his forthcoming album of covers, Tribute To 2. The record will also include reinvented versions of tracks by Elvis, Sonny & Cher, Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, and Irving Berlin.
Tribute To 2 is the sequel to James' Tribute To, a reimagining of six George Harrison (and The Beatles) songs, released in 2009 under the pseudonym Yim Yames. James reportedly recorded the album on a family member's eight-track back in 2001 following Harrison's death.
For the new version of "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times", James samples Isaac Hayes' cover of "By The Time I Get to Phoenix" for the mellow underlying synth, then layers his vocal rendition of the Beach Boys' lonesome lyrics. Of the song, James said, "So often, many of us just feel like we don't fit in, like somehow we were dropped into the wrong life at the wrong time. This song has such a beautiful way of resonating with that energy and relating to the pain of life on earth, but also offering hope and comfort in the beautiful sounds of togetherness."
Tribute To 2 is available for pre-order now in a variety of formats, including CD, vinyl, and digital download, plus the option of bundling the new release with its predecessor in a limited-edition deluxe set that includes an autographed poster, the Tribute To EP, and Tribute To 2. The release date is set for December 8 of this year.
Tribute To 2 Tracklist:
1. "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" (The Beach Boys)
2. "Baby Don't Go" (Sonny & Cher)
3. "Wild Honey" (Dianne Izzo)
4. "Midnight, the Stars and You" (Ray Noble & Al Bowlly)
5. "Crying in the Chapel" (Elvis Presley)
6. "Funny How Time Slips Away" (Willie Nelson)
7. "Love Is The Sweetest Thing" (Ray Noble & Al Bowlly)
8. "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" (Bob Dylan)
9. "Lucky Man" (Emerson, Lake & Palmer)
10. "The World is Falling Down" (Abbey Lincoln)
11. "Blue Skies" (Irving Berlin)
—The ARTISTdirect Staff