Led Zeppelin Reissues Due Out June 3
Fri, 14 Mar 2014 10:05:01
Mark those calendars (or make a reminder in those smartphones) for June 3, Zep fans! That's when the much-anticipated deluxe reissuing of Led Zeppelin's catalog begins.
The campaign kicks off with the release of their first three albums: Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II and Led Zeppelin III. Duh!
These three albums mark the onset of an extensive reissue program of all nine of the band's studio albums in chronological order, each remastered by guitarist and producer Jimmy Page.
Led Zeppelin will also open its vaults and share dozens of unheard studio and live recordings, with each album featuring a second disc of companion audio comprised entirely of unreleased music related to that album. It's a time capsule and a moment in both Led Zep and rock history.
"The material on the companion discs presents a portal to the time of the recording of Led Zeppelin," said Mr. Page. "It is a selection of work in progress with rough mixes, backing tracks, alternate versions, and new material recorded at the time."
Amen to that. Diehard fans and audiophiles, take note.
These formats will be available:
- Single CD – Remastered album packaged in a gatefold card wallet.
- Deluxe Edition (2CD) – Remastered album, plus second disc of unreleased companion audio.
- Single LP – Remastered album on 180-gram vinyl, packaged in a sleeve that replicates the LP's first pressing in exacting detail.
- Deluxe Edition Vinyl – Remastered album and unreleased companion audio on 180-gram vinyl.
- Digital Download – Remastered album and companion audio will both be available.
- Super Deluxe Boxed Set – This collection includes:
- Remastered album on CD in vinyl replica sleeve.
- Companion audio on CD in card wallet.
- Remastered album on 180-gram vinyl in a sleeve replicating first pressing.
- Companion audio on 180-gram vinyl.
- High-def audio download card of all content at 96kHz/24 bit. (Live tracks are 48kHz/24 bit).
- Hard bound, 70+ page book filled with rare and previously unseen photos and memorabilia.
- High quality print of the original album cover, the first 30,000 of which will be individually numbered.
- Led Zeppelin will also include a replica of the band's original Atlantic press kit.
The companion audio for Led Zeppelin features a previously unreleased performance recorded on October 10, 1969 at the Olympia Theatre in Paris. The Led Zeppelin II companion audio gives fans the first look at the band's recording sessions, with alternate mixes of five songs from the album, backing tracks to "Thank You" and "Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)," and the previously unreleased track "La La."
The nine tracks featured on the companion audio of Led Zeppelin III also offer a keyhole into the recording process with seven studio outtakes of songs from the album as well as three previously unheard compositions: "Jennings Farm Blues" (an instrumental forerunner of "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp"), "Bathroom Sound" (an instrumental version of "Out On the Tiles"), and their take on the blues classics "Keys To The Highway/Trouble In Mind."
Got all that? Pre-order the various formats and packages now at LedZeppelin.com.
Who's planning to nab this material on June 3?