• > Home
  • > News
  • > New Radiohead LP Draws Mostly Free Downloads
  • New Radiohead LP Draws Mostly Free Downloads

    Wed, 07 Nov 2007 09:18:16

    New Radiohead LP Draws Mostly Free Downloads - 62% of fans in fact

    Radiohead Photos

    • Radiohead - Thom Yorke, lead singer of the British band Radiohead, performs at the Optimus Alive music festival at Alges, on the outskirts of Lisbon, on July 15, 2012. The Optimus Alive music festival runs from July 13 to July 15.
    • Radiohead - INDIO, CA - APRIL 14:  (L-R) Musicians Ed O'Brien, Jonny Greenwood and singer Thom Yorke of Radiohead perform during Day 2 of the 2012 Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival held at the Empire Polo Club on April 14, 2012 in Indio, California.
    • Radiohead - INDIO, CA - APRIL 14:  Guests attend Radiohead performance during Day 2 of the 2012 Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival held at the Empire Polo Club on April 14, 2012 in Indio, California.

    more radiohead photos »

    Radiohead Videos

    • Radiohead - The Numbers: Jonny, Thom & a CR78
    • Radiohead - Burn The Witch

    more radiohead videos »

    Now that the digital dust is beginning to clear from the "set your own price" sales of Radiohead's new record, an Internet research group is claiming that 62% of In Rainbows downloads were done for free. The other 38% rang up with an average price tag of $6. ComScore added that 17% paid less than $4, 6% paid between $4-$8, 12% paid between $8-$12, and a mere 4% paid more.

    A Radiohead spokesperson declined to comment on the study, but Fred Wilson, a managing partner of Union Square Ventures, had this to say on Billboard.com: "This shows pretty conclusively that the majority of music consumers feel that digital recorded music should be free and is not worth paying for. It's time to come up with new business models for the freeloader market."

    More than 1.2 million fans have visited Radiohead's site since the album's release. According to Pitchfork, a CD version is heavily rumored through ATO Records on New Year's Day.

    —The ARTISTdirect Staff
    11.07.07



    "Like" ARTISTdirect on facebook to get more news and info on Radiohead

    Tags: Radiohead

    Latest Music News

    more news headlines »

    • this week
    • last week
    • artist
    • ringtone
    • peak rank
    • wks on chart