Playlist: Boh Runga
Mon, 24 Aug 2009 10:33:27
Boh Runga specializes in soulful and catchy pop. Her debut album, Right Here, perfectly balances sultry and saccharine. The New Zealand sonic temptress shared her playlist with ARTISTdirect.com for this exclusive feature. Check it out below and pick up Right Here now!
1. Rihanna feat. Jay-Z — "Umbrella"
This song with was on mega-high rotate for a VERY long time. I remember walking around with a friend in the supermarket, and we were singing it to ourselves. Two little girls pushing the shopping trolley for their mom joined in on the ''Ella, ella, ella…" Made us smile.
2. The Beach Boys — "That's Not Me"
The singing on Pet Sounds is so very special that I truly believe everyone should have the album. The life of Brian Wilson is also one of those tragic stories of passion and genius and madness. It makes the music even more unique.
3. Blondie — "I'm Always Touched By Your Presence, Dear"
I think Deborah Harry is a one of those legendary figureheads for music in the early 80's. She was talented, sexy and wore her smile and clothes like no one else. This song is off an early Blondie album called Plastic Letters. She's one of my heroes.
4. Justice — "Let There Be Light" A friend said I should get Justice because they were like a hard Daft Punk. I did. They were. I like the abrasive sounds that drill into your brain but do so melodically. I hope to hear them play live one day. I hope I remember my earplugs.
5. U2 — "North and South Of The River"
I've never heard this song before! It was on a Best Of U2—The B Sides compilation that I put into my iTunes.