Portland Cello Project Are Touring in 2015
Mon, 29 Dec 2014 10:05:12
Portland Cello Project are known for original and classical material and for their arrangements of contemporary composers, ranging from Kanye West to Thom Yorke. But until now, they've never tackled one of their hometown heroes –like the late, great Elliott Smith. They released e.s., their 12-track tribute to the late singer, earlier this month.
The album was recorded at Jackpot! Studios in Portland and co-produced Jackpot! Studio owner/Tape Op editor Larry Crane, who worked with and had a connection with Elliott.
The album features six Smith covers as well as original compositions by contemporary composers including Rachel Grimes (from the band Rachel's), Peter Broderick (Efterklang and Horse Feathers), Gideon Freudmann, Emyli Poltorak and Nancy Ives of the Oregon Symphony.
Check out "Between the Bars" below.
Portland Cello Project have worked with Larry Crane since their first album in 2008, making him a natural choice for this project. While it's been over a decade since Elliott's passing and Jackpot! Studios is in a new space, "Some unintentional relics and definitely some spirit is still there from Elliott," says Portland Cello Project Artistic Director Doug Jenkins. "After all, Elliott helped build Jackpot! with Larry in exchange for studio time."
PCP are also touring in winter.
* January 10, 2015 / Aberdeen, WA - Bishop Center for the Performing Arts
* January 21, 2015 / Humboldt, CA - Humboldt Brews
* January 22, 2015 / Sacramento, CA - Harlow's Night Club
* January 23, 2015 / Napa, CA - The City Winery
* January 24, 2014 / San Francisco, CA - The Chapel
* February 10, 2015 / Republic, WA - Republic Brewery Tickets
* February 12, 2015 / Walla Walla, WA - Main Street Studios
* February 14, 2015 / Spokane, WA - The Bartlett
* February 15, 2015 / Missoula, MT - The Top Hat
* February 18, 2015 / Minneapolis, MN - The Cedar Cultural Center
* February 19, 2015 / Madison, WI - The High Noon Saloon
* February 20, 2015 / Chicago, IL - SPACE
* February 21, 2015 / Davenport, IA - The Redstone Room
* February 22, 2015 / St Louis, MO - The Duck Room at Blueberry Hill
* February 26, 2015 / Lincoln, NE - Vega
* February 28, 2015 / Salt Lake City, UT - The State Room
For more tour info, visit portlandcelloproject.com.
Anyone plan to see Portland Cello Project?