President's Day Presidents Of Rock And Roll Playlist
Mon, 20 Feb 2017 09:12:23
We can all agree that come late February we need a little break from the everyday. Thankfully, George Washington was born February 22nd, and the United States takes the third Monday of February off to celebrate the birth of the nation's first leader. It's an opportunity for all of us to enjoy a little bit of R and R, and think about the great heads of state who helped us get here. For ARTISTdirect, it's a chance to look back at all the great rock stars who have transformed the landscape of music.
On our presidential-type playlist, we celebrate the American rock stars who have made waves. From Jimi Hendrix's version of the "Star Spangled Banner" played live at Woodstock to Johnny Cash's "Ragged Old Flag", music has glorified and challenged national politics. It has also served to simply excite the masses. So without further ado, here is our playlist celebrating the very best America has had to offer in the world of rock and roll.
- Jimi Hendrix — "Star Spangled Banner"
- Elvis Presley — "Jailhouse Rock"
- Chuck Berry — "Johnny B. Goode"
- The Velvet Underground — "Rock & Roll"
- The Presidents of the United States of America — "Peaches"
- Nirvana — "Come As You Are"
- Guns N' Roses — "Paradise City"
- Aerosmith — "Dream On"
- Pearl Jam — "Yellow Ledbetter"
- Metallica — "Master of Puppets"
- Van Halen — "Panama"
- Bruce Springsteen — "Born in the U.S.A."
- Ramones — "I Wanna Be Sedated"
- The Stooges — "Search and Destroy"
- The Doors — "Love Her Madly"
- Neil Young -"Heart of Gold"
- Janis Joplin — "Mercedes Benz"
- Fleetwood Mac — "Dreams"
- Bob Dylan — "The Times Are A-Changin'"
- Johnny Cash — "Ragged Old Flag"
—The ARTISTdirect Staff