• > Home
  • > News
  • > The Latest Dixie Chicks Flap: Censorship or Publicity Stunt?
  • The Latest Dixie Chicks Flap: Censorship or Publicity Stunt?

    Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:08:33

    The Latest Dixie Chicks Flap: Censorship or Publicity Stunt? - Film's top executive claims network boycott; NBC and CW deny they refused to run ads.

    Dixie Chicks Photos

    • Dixie Chicks - TORONTO, ON - SEPTEMBER 08:  (L-R) Actor Johnny Depp, musician Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks, Producer Lorri Davis, Director/Producer Amy Berg and producer/documentary subject Damien Echols attend the 'West Of Memphis' premiere during the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival at Ryerson Theatre on September 8, 2012 in Toronto, Can.
    • Dixie Chicks - TORONTO, ON - SEPTEMBER 08:  (L-R) Co-President of Sony Classic Pictures Tom Bernard, actor Johnny Depp, musician Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks, Producer Lorri Davis, Director/Producer Amy Berg and producer/documentary subject Damien Echols attend the 'West Of Memphis' premiere during the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival at Ryerson Theatre on September 8, 2012 in Toronto, Can.
    • Dixie Chicks - TORONTO, ON - SEPTEMBER 08:  Musician Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks attends the 'West Of Memphis' premiere during the 2012 Toronto International Film Festival at Ryerson Theatre on September 8, 2012 in Toronto, Can.

    more dixie chicks photos »

    Dixie Chicks Videos

    • Dixie Chicks - Cowboy Take Me Away
    • Dixie Chicks - Long Time Gone

    more dixie chicks videos »

    Movie executive Harvey Weinstein claims that two American television networks -- NBC and CW -- have rejected commercials for the new Dixie Chicks documentary Shut Up and Sing because they are "disparaging to President Bush." The networks, however, claim that Weinstein is simply pulling a publicity stunt to get more people to see the movie, which chronicles the female trio's struggles after they outraged the country music community by declaring their opposition to Bush and his policies.

    Weinstein, whose Weinstein Co. is distributing the film, issued a press release last week announcing the networks' boycott. "It's a sad commentary about the level of fear in our society that a movie about a group of courageous entertainers who were blacklisted for exercising their right of free speech is now itself being blacklisted by corporate America," Weinstein said in the release. "The idea that anyone should be penalized for criticising the president is profoundly un-American."

    Spokespeople for NBC and CW, however, insist that they never intended to boycott the ads. NBC's head of standards and practices, Alan Wurtzel, says the network was in a dialogue with the Weinstein Co. over the content of the ads, when Weinstein issued his press release. "There was no attempt to come back and have a conversation," Wurtzel said. He speculated that Weinstein felt the negative publicity would be more effective than the ads themselves. "There are times when some advertisers get more publicity for getting their ad rejected."

    CW, for its part, claims that they were never even approached for a national ad buy for the Shut Up and Sing campaign.

    --The ARTISTdirect Staff
    10.30.06



    "Like" ARTISTdirect on facebook to get more news and info on Dixie Chicks

    Tags: Dixie Chicks

    Latest Music News

    more news headlines »

    • this week
    • last week
    • artist
    • ringtone
    • peak rank
    • wks on chart