Tom Jones Covers Gillian Welch's "Elvis Presley Blues" and Others on New Album 'Long Lost Suitcase'
Fri, 06 Nov 2015 13:12:44
December 4 will see the release of Long Lost Suitcase (S-Curve Records), the new album from Sir Tom Jones that again pairs the powerhouse vocalist, now 75, with producer and multi-instrumentalist Ethan Johns. It is being released as a companion soundtrack to the Welsh singer's autobiography, Over The Top And Back: The Autobiography (Blue Rider Press, November 24 [Amazon]).
The album, thirteen cover songs that include selections from Welch and Willie Nelson to the Milk Carton Kids and the Rolling Stones, "keys into Jones' long and eventful life, and draws performances of consummate maturity and pulsating vitality."
It's not the first time Jones has covered various artists on record. His last two albums with Johns, 2012's Spirit in the Room and 2010's Praise & Blame, featured tracks written by Leonard Cohen, Paul McCartney, Odetta, and many others.
Of his electrifying cover of "Elvis Presley Blues," originally a stripped down, rootsy number, the Welsh singer says: "To me the song is a celebration of Elvis Presley, a celebration of his life. I wanted to show that. I wanted to let the people know how much I felt about Elvis - that he did change music. So I thought if we can capture it, that would be a hell of a tribute. I played it to Priscilla Presley and Jerry Schilling, who was one of the 'Memphis Mafia.' They both thought it was a great tribute to Elvis."
"Elvis Presley Blues" is streaming now at NPR, and you you can watch the video here:
Tom Jones Long Lost Suitcase Track List:
1) Opportunity To Cry (Willie Nelson)
2) Honey, Honey (The Milk Carton Kids)
3) Take My Love (I Want To Give It All To You) (Little Willie John)
4) Bring It On Home (Willie Dixon)
5) Everybody Loves A Train (Los Lobos)
6) Elvis Presley Blues (Gillian Welch)
7) He Was A Friend Of Mine (Dave Van Ronk)
8) Factory Girl (The Rolling Stones)
9) I Wish You Would (Billy Boy Arnold)
10) 'Til My Back Ain't Got No Bone (William Bell)
11) Why Don't You Love Me Like You Used To Do? (Hank Williams)
12) Tomorrow Night (Original Song)
13) Raise A Ruckus (Original Song)
—The ARTISTdirect Staff
Buy Tom Jones music at iTunes.
Buy Over the Top and Back: The Autobiography at Amazon.