What Are Anberlin's Top Five Career Moments?
Thu, 23 Oct 2014 14:10:04
Alt rock band Anberlin are currently on their final tour, in support of lowborn. They are breaking up after a dozen successful years together. So there's no time like the present to ask the band to look back on their Top Five Career Moments. So here they are.
As told to us by bassist Deon Rexroat:
There are so many moments in the 12 years I spent in Anberlin that have defined my life and career, but these are the five that readily come to mind whenever I look back through the years:
1. Signing to Tooth and Nail Records: We were a brand new band no one had ever heard of in 2002, but that didn't stop Brandon at T&N from seeing something special in us. It all started at this label for us and we wouldn't be where we are without the family we had/have there.
2. First full U.S. headline tour in support of Cities: Up until the release of our third album, we had only done support tours in the U.S. When Cities was set to be released, we wanted to come out swinging and make a statement as a band, so we decided to headline a seven-week tour in support of that album. I remember how amazing it felt when we played the first date of that tour in Charlotte, N.C. and the show was sold out with 700 kids that knew every word to every song. It didn't feel like real life.
3. Releasing three albums on a major label: Regardless of how anyone may feel about indies vs. major labels, this was an amazing five years of my life. We had pretty much accomplished all we could with Tooth and Nail by the time we released our third album, so we felt like it was time to take a leap and see how much farther we could go. Signing to Universal Republic was a big day for us made better by the fact that we were able to release three albums there. It doesn't sound like a big feat, but it's tough for many bands to last one album in the fickle major label industry. The fact that we called that world home for three albums, it's pretty awesome.
4. "Feel Good Drag": When you write a song, you always hope people will like it. The first time you hear that song on the radio, you get really excited. But having a single get played so much on the radio that it beats out all other artists for a time, that's just something you never feel is possible until it happens. To top it all off, this song went on to sell 500,000 copies. "Feel Good Drag" literally changed our lives forever.
5. Working with Brendan O'Brien: Growing up in the '90s as we did, we got to experience a pretty important period of music. Fast forward to 2009 and we find out that one of the most pivotal producers from that era as well as the present wants to produce an album for us. This is a guy who worked with Pearl Jam, Rage Against the Machine and Stone Temple Pilots as well as Bruce Springsteen among so many others! You don't say no to that. We had such an amazing time recording Dark Is the Way… with Brendan and we learned so much from a true legend.
Anberlin Tour Dates:
Oct 23 Austin, TX @ Emo's**
Oct 24 Dallas, TX @ House of Blues**
Oct 25 Houston, TX @ House of Blues**
Nov 03 Detroit, MI @ St. Andrew's Hall^^
Nov 04 St Louis, MO @ The Ready Room^^
Nov 05 Nashville, TN @ The Cannery^^
Nov 07 Silver Spring, MD @ Fillmore
Nov 08 Norfolk, VA @ The NorVa
Nov 10 Columbus, OH @ Newport Music Hall
Nov 11 Philadelphia, PA @ Theatre of Living Arts
Nov 12 Boston, MA @ House of Bllues++
Nov 13 New York, NY @ Irving Plaza++
Nov 15 Philadelphia, PA @ Theatre of Living Arts++
Nov 16 New York, NY @ Irving Plaza **2nd Show Added**++
Nov 17 New York, NY @ The Gramercy Theatre *Cities In Its Entirety*++
Nov 18 Toronto, Canada @ Phoenix Concert Hall++
Nov 19 Cleveland, OH @ House of Blues++
Nov 21 Charlotte, NC @ The Fillmore%%
Nov 22 Atlanta, GA @ Center Stage%%
Nov 24 Fort Lauderdale, FL @ Revolution%%
Nov 25 St Petersburg, FL @ Jannus Live-@@
Nov 26 Orlando, FL @ House of Blues - FINAL SHOW%%
^^-w/ Greek Fire
++-w/ Mike Herrera
-w/ Copeland, '68
For tickets and more info, visit Anberlin.com
Who is sad to say goodbye to Anberlin? But remember this: Don't be sad because it's over; smile because it happened!