Norah Jones "...Featuring" Due Out November 2
Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:46:24
On November 2, EMI's Blue Note Records will release …Featuring, a star-studded collection of singer Norah Jones's musical collaborations from the past decade. The 18 songs on the album include duets with such legends as Ray Charles, Willie Nelson, and Dolly Parton, and with 21st Century icons from OutKast to the Foo Fighters. Jones is clearly a force to be reckoned with, as her collaborations demonstrate. She certainly does not pledge allegiance to any single genre, that is for certain.
"It's so exciting and flattering and fun when I get asked to sing with somebody that I admire," said Jones in a statement. "It takes you a little bit out of your comfort zone when you're doing something with another artist. You don't know what to expect—it's kind of like being a little kid and having a playdate." I like playdates, too, Norah!
The tracks on …Featuring span her entire career, from one of her earliest recording sessions (a version of Roxy Music's "More Than This" with guitarist Charlie Hunter in 2001) to her most recent performance, a song called "Little Lou, Ugly Jack, Prophet John" that she cut with Belle and Sebastian, which will also appear on their new album. The result serves as a kind of parallel history to her own four albums, which have sold over 40 million copies worldwide.
These collaborations reveal Jones's astonishing musical versatility, from jazz to country, hip-hop to rock. The album also includes recordings by some of Jones's own bands and side projects (The Little Willies and El Madmo), and performances with artists that she's toured with including M. Ward, Sasha Dobson, and Gillian Welch and David Rawlings. Songs on …Featuring range from classics recorded by Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Joni Mitchell, and Roy Orbison to new material by such wide-ranging innovators as Ryan Adams and Q-Tip. Truly diverse, that Norah Jones gal.
"A lot of the people on this record are people I've worshiped since I was a kid, and some of them are younger and more my contemporaries," Jones finished. "Even though the musicians are so varied, the vibe of the songs makes sense when we put them all together."
The track listing for …Featuring is as follows:
1. Love Me – The Little Willies
2. Virginia Moon – The Foo Fighters featuring Norah Jones
3. Turn Them – Sean Bones featuring Norah Jones
4. Baby It's Cold Outside – Willie Nelson featuring Norah Jones
5. Bull Rider – Norah Jones and Sasha Dobson
6. Ruler Of My Heart – Dirty Dozen Brass Band featuring Norah Jones
7. The Best Part – El Madmo
8. Take Off Your Cool – OutKast featuring Norah Jones
9. Life Is Better – Q-Tip featuring Norah Jones
10. Soon The New Day – Talib Kweli featuring Norah Jones
11. Little Lou, Prophet Jack, Ugly John – Belle & Sebastian featuring Norah Jones
12. Here We Go Again – Ray Charles featuring Norah Jones
13. Loretta – Norah Jones featuring Gillian Welch and David Rawlings
14. Dear John – Ryan Adams featuring Norah Jones
15. Creepin' In – Norah Jones featuring Dolly Parton
16. Court & Spark – Herbie Hancock featuring Norah Jones
17. More Than This – Charlie Hunter featuring Norah Jones
18. Blue Bayou – Norah Jones featuring M. Ward
Which is your favorite Jones collaboration?