Alanis Morissette Biography
So what does this former infatuation junkie listen to now that she's found some inner peace? We wanted to know, so we asked Alanis to make us a mixtape. Here's what she gave us.
1. Rufus Wainwright - "Poses" - "When on tour and needing to drop off the radar, I would put this song on repeat and lie on the floor, stare at the ceiling, play it 10 times in a row, and sob."
2. Joni Mitchell - "River" - "The emotion in this song comes closest to how it feels for me to be a Canadian and to feel the melancholy that often accompanies the dark winter months."
3. Tears For Fears - "Mad World" - "Reminds me of my fiancée, as we were both obsessed with this song last Christmas."
4. Stevie Wonder - "We Can Work it Out" - "We would listen to this song on the trains on tour in Japan, and be dancing all around the aisles, it's such a joy ball song."
5. The Sundays - "Summertime" - "Her voice is my fantasies woman's voice: young, conversational, not precious, joy, strong, smart, feminine. I had a dream not long ago that we hung out, she was very cool in the dream."
6. Nick Drake - "Pink Moon" - "I go through phases every few months (quarterly!) where I have to have the fix of hearing his voice, his choices and his sweet spirit."
7. David Wilcox - "Chet Baker's Unsung Swan Song" - "This song is one of my favorites, my fiancée played it for me on a drive up into the mountains, and I asked him to play it ten more times. For me it's like staring at a beautiful painting, while holding the painter's heart. Songwriters that are courageous enough to share their inner world, so grateful to be trusted with that."
8. Rickie Lee Jones - "On Saturday Afternoons in 1963" - "Living in Germany when I was younger, my parents' music was the only music I had access to, and I fell in love with this song, considering it a tip of the hat to my parents having exposed me to this whole era of music that I was too young to appreciate."
9. Jane Siberry - "Red High Heels" - "She was the first artist I was in love with when I was 10 years old. The first concert I ever went to, and the first song that validated my love of stream of consciousness. I would get lost in her words and landscapes for hours with my headphones on as a young girl."
10. R.E.M. - "Hope" - I love Michael. I love his willingness and courage and surrender and his immeasurable good will. And I love this song in particular because its melody tips its hat at Leonard Cohen, whom I also adore."