At the tender age of 23, the Arkansas native (real name: Shaffer C. Smith) has already made music history for co-writing the hit "Let Me Love You" for Mario with superstar producer Scott Storch. "Let Me Love You" became the #1 radio anthem of 2004, garnering 189.5 million listeners in one week, the most spins in chart history.
Now, Ne-Yo is bringing his silky smooth tenor to his own hits, starting with his debut single "So Sick," a song about a guy who's so lovesick he can't even listen to love songs anymore, because they all remind him of the girl he wants. Fortunately for the rest of us, in real life Ne-Yo still likes love songs just fine, along with all sorts of other kinds of rap, hip-hop and R&B. Here's his "Top Ten Playlist" of favorite songs...an ARTISTdirect exclusive!
1. Prince - “Joy in Repetition” - Like the way it's written, not even a song, kind of like a rant, no cadence, just ranting.
2. Stevie Wonder - “Ribbon in the Sky” - Beautiful song from lyrics to melody, song from the heart.
3. Tears for Fears - “Head over Heels” - Like the melody and the dude’s voice.
4. Jodeci - “Feenin” - Traditional R&B sex song.
5. Boyz II Men - “Water Runs Dry” - Love the melodies, music, way put together, sounds like a march.
6. Jay-Z - “Feelin’ It” - Best written song by Jay-Z.
7. A Tribe Called Quest - “Electric Relaxation" - Really like the music.
8. Busta Rhymes - “Woo Ha!!” - Like how creative Busta is in the song.
9. Busta Rhymes - “Touch It” - Love how creative it is and he’s one of my favorite rappers of all time.
10. Jay-Z - “Public Service Announcement” - Favorite rapper of all time.
Ne-Yo's album In My Own Words is available now in the ARTISTdirect Store.